Help needed: how to mod

For english-speaking users. Welcome!
Alaksandu
Level 1 Hero
Level 1 Hero

Help needed: how to mod

Post by Alaksandu »

Hi there! I hope somebody will read this and is able to help me.

A few weeks ago I started experimenting with modifying HOMMIV. I've find out how to change creature statistics, hero descriptions, and spell power/stats, but there are many things I would like to change, although I've no idea how to achieve it.

For instance, I would like to completely overhaul the advanced hero class effects, and add a new class (Com+Nob+Sco+Tac: Mighty Leader: +25\% HP/damage).

Other things I would like to know include how to:
* tweak hero statistics
* change artifact effects
* add new artifact combinations
* add/replace spells in creature spell books (such as Phantom Image to Evil Sorceress)
* lower the effect of the Resurrection secondary skill and change the Necromancy and Summoning skills

Since a few hero classes were changed in Equilibris, at least one of your team members has find out how to modify the class effects. Would you be so kind to teach me how to modify those advanced classes myself?
Thank you in advance!
Accolon
Level 24 Hero
Level 24 Hero

Post by Accolon »

First, I'm not from Equi-team, but collected few tricks. And second, pls forgive me English.)

Few tricks you can found here: Unit's ability moding in Heroes 4 WoW, Code of units, spells and artifacts in Heroes 4 WoW. Yes, it is in Russian, but if you familiar with programming in machine codes, you can undestand it (use electronic interpreter).
tweak hero statistics
change artifact effects
add new artifact combinations
- need to modify exe-file, and I d't know how and here.
add/replace spells in creature spell books (such as Phantom Image to Evil Sorceress)
Technically, all unit's spellbooks is are bit-field record in exe-file. If set of bit is ON, then spell available (but not dynamical mass spells, existing in Equi-mod). Unfortunately, I d't know physical addres this bit-field records in exe-file. But you can try to find it via compare exe-file (orig. Heroes vs Equi). Logic of bit-field for spell you can found here: viewtopic.php?p=18310#18310
lower the effect of the Resurrection secondary skill and change the Necromancy and Summoning skills
I d't know about Ressurection, but for Summoning, Necromancy, Diplomaty and Charm see here: viewtopic.php?p=19636#19636
Dalai
Equilibris Core Team
Equilibris Core Team

Post by Dalai »

I tried reading those links via google translate, and I was surprised to find out that translation is pretty decent. First link about modding abilities. I hoped for much less, to be honest.
Web-designer wanted. "Once a knight, always a knight, but once a King is once too often!" (c) Sir Bella of Eastmarch
Alaksandu
Level 1 Hero
Level 1 Hero

Post by Alaksandu »

Thank you for your replies!

I still don't completely understand how to add spells to creature spell books (those links with tables are helpfull, although the google translation is not perfect), but I already managed to replace creature abilities.
However, some abilities don't work properly. For instance, I swapped the Gargantuan's "Shoots twice" ability with "Magic Resistance". Yes, it won't shoot twice any more, and yes, it has the MR ability displayed, but it actually has only 0\% MR, which is quite boring.
Other abilities (Regeneration, Block) doesn't seem to work correctly either.

Furthermore, do you have any idea how to change the hero advanced class effects?
Accolon
Level 24 Hero
Level 24 Hero

Post by Accolon »

Furthermore, do you have any idea how to change the hero advanced class effects?
Only via exe-file compare: orig. Heroes vs Equi.
However, some abilities don't work properly. For instance, I swapped the Gargantuan's "Shoots twice" ability with "Magic Resistance". Yes, it won't shoot twice any more, and yes, it has the MR ability displayed, but it actually has only 0\% MR, which is quite boring.
Because MR-ability is fake (like toughness at zobies and strength at behemoth) - it displays only icon (and you have it :)). Real MR must be setup in unit hardcoded properties. But I d't know here.
Other abilities (Regeneration, Block) doesn't seem to work correctly either
About block - try to see it in orig. Heroes and compare with Equi. I'd know about regeneration.
I still don't completely understand how to add spells to creature spell books
You don't understand logic or you don't know, where in exe-file spell-records available?